[Linux-aus] Candidacy support statement - President

David Williams davidmwilliams at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 11 17:23:00 AEDT 2016

> On 11 Jan 2016, at 5:15 PM, Mark Foster <blakjak at blakjak.net> wrote:
>
> Are we seriously at the stage where we're challenging people who're putting their hands up to take a not-insigificant role in LA, because they use a mixed-software-stack for a variety of reasons?

Last year when there was a lack of candidates I nominated to make sure there were people standing. As surprising as it is you now, sure enough there was one guy who loudly proclaimed there was some problem with me because, among many other hats, I wrote technical articles for an online publication where that guy had an alleged grievance with the editor and another writer. Yep, that was the whole basis of his complaint against me - simple association. Ironically, Linux Australia had sought my permission to republish some of my articles at various events over the years.

For some it doesn't matter if you bring multi-million dollar open source engagements to board rooms, it is if there is a tenuous connection to something they allege to dislike.

It is perhaps the same disappointing mentality that leads people to take a well articulated policy direction that soundly sets forth discussion items for the future of the association and instead make it a discussion about where such a document should live instead of the content.

These people remind me of Mr Bean looking at Whistler's Mother and proclaiming "nice frame".

> Play the ball, not the man.

Agreed. It's something for the Association's members to work on.