[Linux-aus] LA co-branding proposal

Anthony Towns aj at erisian.com.au
Mon Jan 11 13:15:08 AEDT 2016

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 03:37:17PM +1100, Ronald Skeoch wrote:
> On 09/01/16 00:47, Anthony Towns wrote:
> >I think the motivation for rebranding LA as "Open Source Australia" or
> >similar;
> Please understand Open Source is the not the core  goal
> /Unencumbered open standard/s is the  cornerstone of our future.
> Without the fundamental right to communicate and use without paying
> royalties all is lost!
> This issue needs to appear at the forefront of Goals!

I think this could be one of the advantages of doing it as a subctte
rather than having the council do it directly -- it's easy for there
to be an "open standards" subctte running in parallel with an "open
source" subctte, and whichever really is the foremost goal of members
will just be the more vibrant of the two, without the other needing to
be subservient in any way.

> How much time is wasted by open source people attempting to ensure they are
> not ensnared by "/fictitious/ Patents"
> This substantial issue should be acknowledged in any re-branding.
> and lead to additional LA goals and hence directed effort.

I'm not sure what practical steps LA could take to aid open standards?
Figuring some out would probably be a good first step?

Cheers,
aj