[Linux-aus] Candidacy support statement - President

Anthony Towns aj at erisian.com.au
Sun Jan 10 17:29:09 AEDT 2016

On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 03:48:43PM +1100, Hugh Blemings wrote:
> By way of background, in addition to having long been involved in Free
> and Open Source Software and Hardware (..., Ubuntu, ...)

> Further in the interests of openness and transparency, I will note that
> while I am no longer a full time desktop Linux user [...]

So, what do you use instead, and why? (You didn't mention if you run
Linux on your "smart devices"?) [0]

> In the interests of transparency I note that prior commitments will see
> me with limited availability for voluntary activities until late March
> 2016 after which time I can direct my attention more fully to LA
> matters.

Will "limited availability" be enough to address any issues that the
LCA or PyCon (etc) teams might have prior to or during March, or will
you be relying on your VP to deal with some/all of these (by chairing
meetings, following up on emails, handling votes, harrassing people to
do things, etc)?

Cheers,
aj

[0] For the record, I ran OS X when first elected to the LA council:

    http://www.erisian.com.au/wordpress/2004/11/08/my-new-ibook
    http://www.erisian.com.au/wordpress/2004/11/09/applemail-and-imap
    http://www.erisian.com.au/wordpress/2004/11/15/apple-mail-readers-continued
    http://www.erisian.com.au/wordpress/2004/12/16/yay-memory

    http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/2005-February/msg00045.html

    I don't seem to have blogged about switching back to Linux, which
    iirc was because the OS X filesystem at the time couldn't handle my
    email efficiently/reliably (too many files in a Maildir/ directory),
    and running Linux in a VM (on powerpc) was slow... Well, that and
    Linux on the iBook had gotten reliable enough that suspend/resume
    was working...

    Hmm, we're getting close to the ten year anniversary of the year of
    the Linux desktop according to me too:

    http://www.erisian.com.au/wordpress/2007/12/07/asus-eeepc