[Linux-aus] LA co-branding proposal

Andrew Donnellan andrew at donnellan.id.au
Sat Jan 9 22:45:45 AEDT 2016

On 9 January 2016 at 00:47, Anthony Towns <aj at erisian.com.au> wrote:
> G'day world,
>
> I thought it might be interesting to write up my idea for an alternative
> to rebranding LA as something more like an action plan, rather than just
> a concept [0].

Thanks for the positive contribution, Anthony.

I haven't had time to really digest it and let my thoughts settle, but
my gut feelings are...

If we're going to have a name change, I suppose I'd like it to be done
in a decisive manner. Treating "opensource.org.au" as a brand for a
whole organisation (with affiliated conferences etc), when it still
operates under the auspices of LA, just feels a bit confusing to me.
This might be just me, and maybe it doesn't matter to the outside
world... perhaps some more work on nomenclature could make it clearer.

I haven't really thought very much about the idea that the role of
open source/free software advocacy should shift from the Council to a
subcommittee. I suppose it could work - I'm not immediately convinced
that it's the best approach, but I'm open to it. I like most of the
example subcommittee goals you've listed rather a lot.

Getting as quickly as possible to "doing cool stuff" is important.
Release early, release often and all that. Our structure needs to
actively encourage ordinary members to start new initiatives and have
a low barrier to entry (I don't wish to imply that current/previous LA
Councils haven't been trying, but I think there's still room here).
I'm still thinking about it, but right now I'm leaning towards saying
that letting subcommittees play with new ideas for LA's future mission
is probably an approach worth considering.

Andrew

--
Andrew Donnellan
http://andrew.donnellan.id.au         andrew at donnellan.id.au