[Linux-aus] Inflection Point - A Strategic Plan for Linux Australia

Tim Serong tim at wirejunkie.com
Wed Jan 6 23:21:40 AEDT 2016

On 06/01/16 21:45, Noel Butler wrote:
> On 06/01/2016 15:02, Tim Serong wrote:

>>> It's kinda like Queensland and daylight saving, a vote was called, the
>>> people voted an overwhelming NO, but every year since, especially at
>>> every change of government, the same noisy minority keeps popping back
>>> up making noises trying to get their way.
>>
>> Interesting.  I interpreted those figured to mean that -- assuming we
>> have 3,000 members -- the vast majority of 2,928 didn't care what the
>> name was or didn't hear about the election, while the remainder was
>

> The vast majority likely have no clue.
>
> Only a small number are on this list, or bother to read this list, or
> have valid/current emails.
>
> This is brought about because of failures within LA (which I brought up
> I think a few years ago and as recent as last election), every member
> should be automatically subbed to LA  announce list, but anyone wanting
> to know stuff has to manually sub to THIS list, because no important
> announcements are made anywhere else (failure #2) anyway, so probably
> pointless, but I guess that will never change and we'll have 99% of
> membership having no idea elections are called for let alone important
> issue votes.
>
> Said it before say it again, until council adds every member to its
> announce list and actually bloody uses it for important stuff, its
> always going to be the same 'ol "inner circle" / "boys club" deciding
> what goes on.

I agree that ensuring members details are current is necessary, and I
think this is touched on in the Inflection Point document we've been
discussing, where it talks about replacing MemberDB.  However the doc
doesn't explicitly mention ensuring everyone's automatically put on the
announce list (at least, not that I saw).

That said, the announce list actually *is* currently used for the
important stuff.  Check the archives.  Annual announcements of AGMs,
council elections, the proposed name change vote, the member survey a
couple of years ago etc. all went to the announce list.

Regards,

Tim