[Linux-aus] Inflection Point - A Strategic Plan for Linux Australia

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Wed Jan 6 21:45:32 AEDT 2016

On 06/01/2016 15:02, Tim Serong wrote:
> On 06/01/16 10:33, Noel Butler wrote:
>> On 06/01/2016 01:41, Anthony Towns wrote:
>>>

>>> There was a member vote on which name to use, with "Linux Australia"
>>> winning by outright majority, iirc (37 1st preference no name change,
>>> versus 35 votes with a different first preference [0]).
>>

>> It's kinda like Queensland and daylight saving, a vote was called, the
>> people voted an overwhelming NO, but every year since, especially at
>> every change of government, the same noisy minority keeps popping back
>> up making noises trying to get their way.
>
> Interesting.  I interpreted those figured to mean that -- assuming we
> have 3,000 members -- the vast majority of 2,928 didn't care what the
> name was or didn't hear about the election, while the remainder was

The vast majority likely have no clue.

Only a small number are on this list, or bother to read this list, or
have valid/current emails.

This is brought about because of failures within LA (which I brought up
I think a few years ago and as recent as last election), every member
should be automatically subbed to LA  announce list, but anyone wanting
to know stuff has to manually sub to THIS list, because no important
announcements are made anywhere else (failure #2) anyway, so probably
pointless, but I guess that will never change and we'll have 99% of
membership having no idea elections are called for let alone important
issue votes.

Said it before say it again, until council adds every member to its
announce list and actually bloody uses it for important stuff, its
always going to be the same 'ol "inner circle" / "boys club" deciding
what goes on.