[Linux-aus] [Announce] Declaration of Council Election and call for Nominations

Joshua Hesketh josh at nitrotech.org
Sat Jan 2 16:16:17 AEDT 2016

Hey all,

TL;DR: Elections are open. Please nominate and/or stand.

Just a reminder that there are only a few days left until the nomination
period for next year's council closes. If you haven't already, please
head over to https://www.linux.org.au/membership/ and get nominating. If
anybody is considering running and would like to know more about what is
involved I'd be more than happy to have a chat and answer any questions
you might have.

As a lot of you may already know, I do not intend on re-standing for
council this year. I have been on the council for 6 years now (and
involved with LA for even longer) and I think it's time for some fresh
blood, so to speak.

It has been an honour to be trusted by the community to lead this
organisation for such a long time. While I haven't achieved as much as I
had planned, it has been a privilege to be involved and to do what I
could. I hope that I have been able to improve and continue the
organisation's success during this time. Thank you all for this opportunity.

Linux Australia has a lot of challenges ahead of itself for the coming
few years. I touched on a lot of these during my 2014 Presidents report,
and I expect them to be present again in my 2015 report as they are
large and ongoing concerns.

I would like to see the community thinking about some bigger questions.
The organisation has been successful in recent years in running events
but less so in lobbying to the government or advocating for policy
changes etc.

Linux and open source are generally well received technologies and don’t
require advocating for in the same way that they may have been 10-15
years ago. This raises a question of how do we stay relevant as Linux
Australia. In fact, it is pretty obvious that we aren’t relevant as
"Linux" Australia since we’re much more about being an open source
organisation.

A name change for our organisation has been discussed many times before,
but I believe it to still be an important discussion. However, extending
even further from that are more fundamental questions to the
organisation. For example, with open source being so mainstream, what
does that mean for us? Or what does the popularity of mobile and web
platforms mean for open source? Are there opportunities or a need for
advocacy in those areas? How do we extend our ideals to open web, open
data, open government, open hardware and open culture? How do we ensure
that our values[0] are upheld in our industries?

I would like to encourage and challenge our membership to be discussing
these types of issues in a large picture sense and to be giving thought
as to how we might be able to address some of them. Clearly these types
of questions are very difficult to tackle purely at a Council level -
especially when they are concerned with the administration and ongoing
running of the organisation - so it is imperative that the community
attempts to gain a consolidated voice in these areas.

A lot of these challenges are reflected in the 2013 membership survey[1]
where our brand and purpose was often mis-identified by members not
understanding what we do. Addressing these systemic questions will help
guide the direction of the organisation and also lead towards addressing
issues such as our poor communication to membership.

Of course with not standing for the 2016 council myself, that doesn't
mean I will be disappearing altogether. I intend to help the new council
on these challenges in any way I can. I also want to make sure that I'm
available to consult and offer advice where possible should the new
council wish to reach out.

Thank you all for a wonderful 6 years. I look forward to watching this
organisation continue to grow to its full potential.

Warm regards,
Joshua Hesketh

[0] http://linux.org.au/values
[1] http://linux.org.au/news/news/linux-australia-member-survey-2013