[Linux-aus] Re-igniting the Membership Committee

Neill Cox neill at ingenious.com.au
Wed Feb 10 11:41:11 AEDT 2016

Hi Kathy,

I have been quietly working on a possible replacement for memberdb.

It's still in quite an early state, but the code, such as it is, is on
github[0]. It uses the existing DB schema.

My goals for this work are:

1/ Move to a modern, well supported platform - I've chosen flask[1]
2/ Re-implement the current functionality as a first step
3/ Implement the extra functionality as per the requirements doc

I am not interested in working on either Drupal or CiviCRM. I have some
sympathy for the arguments for CiviCRM but lack sufficient PHP skills to be
useful in such work (and am not interested in acquiring them). OTOH, I
don't want to get in the way of such efforts, and recognise the risk that
the work I do may never actually be used by LA.

I talked to several people at LCA who were also interested in working on
memberdb, some of whom would probably be interested in PHP based solutions.

I have at this point got most of the membersdhip side working, but am yet
to seriously tackle elections. Progress is going to be slow for a little
while as I catch up on my day job. My next step was going to be to contact
the people who expressed an interest in helping.

I would be happy to be part of or to work with a Membership Subcommittee.

Regards,
Neill

[0] https://github.com/neillc/memberdb-ng
[1] http://flask.pocoo.org/

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 10:00 AM, Kathy Reid <kathy at kathyreid.id.au> wrote:

> Good morning everyone!
>
> Fresh from the amazing experience that was linux.conf.au 2016 Geelong -
> LCA By the Bay (and a few days in which to recover), and with the
> motivation that comes from such an inspiring event still fresh in mind, I'd
> like to reinvigorate the debate over our Membership Committee[0],
> Membership platform[1] and related pieces[2].
>
> Please note I'm doing this with my 'Member' hat on rather than my
> 'Council' hat, and because I am highly motivated to deliver a better
> Membership platform for Linux Australia.
>
> The intent of this email is to seek expressions of interest from those who
> may be motivated and passionate about addressing the shortcoming of LA's
> current Membership platform, whether that be through a new platform, or
> enhancements to the current one. My intended approach here is to form a
> Membership Subcommittee under the Subcommittee Policy[3], should Council
> approve, and then use the Membership Subcommittee as a vehicle to drive
> recommendations and actions for improvement.
>
> So, who wants to join me in creating a better Membership platform?
>
> Kind regards,
> Kathy Reid
>

> [0] http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/2015-January/021988.html
> [1] http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/linux-aus/2015-January/021995.html