[Linux-aus] Proposal: two year overlapping terms, more council members

Hugh Blemings hugh at blemings.org
Mon Dec 12 15:54:22 AEDT 2016

Hi All,

On 12/12/2016 15:36, Tennessee Leeuwenburg wrote:
> Every year so far:
>   -- Every major position has multiple credible candidates
>   -- Including general positions as well as office bearer positions
>
> If we are running the show with too few people involved, it's because
> the various powers that be have chosen not to leverage effort from the
> community.
 >
 > [...]

So I feel as President I should "wear" this one a bit.  To elaborate;

I don't think we've had a lot of folk coming forward, but I _think_ when
they have we've done an ok job of making use of that.  Perfect track
record, I doubt it, but probably ok.

What in hindsight I think I could perhaps have done more of, is actively
ping the Community when Council could use a hand.  Yes there is an
overhead in getting someone up to speed, but nothing insurmountable.

So to be explicit - if you'd like to help with "something" or you have
an idea of a specific thing you'd like to do under the auspices of Linux
Australia, please get in touch either with council as a whole
council at linux.org.au or one of the office bearers of the day -
president@  secretary at linux.org.au etc. :)

This doesn't even need to be super formal "Hey Hugh, I was wondering if
I could help out with $IDEA" works :)

As to a larger Council, we'd talked about this at one point but (from
memory) drawn the conclusion that we could just as readily get folk
involved if/when they came forward.  As per above, maybe I/we could have
been more proactive in soliciting this assistance.

As to the "understudy" concept - I think we more or less do this already
in so far as we've a reasonable approach, if informal, of people coming
on to Council after having been involved generally in the community or
moving from an OCM role into one of the specific council roles (I went
OCM > VP > year off > Prez for example)

While it doesn't often come up, there is a reasonable if again informal
norm of Office Bearers of the day consulting with their predecessors
both during the actual handover but also throughout the year when knotty
things pop up.

Thanks all for the largely thoughtful conversation around this and to
Paul for kicking the thread off :)

Cheers,
Hugh