[Linux-aus] Candidacy Support Statement - President or Ordinary Council Member

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Wed Dec 7 19:54:03 AEDT 2016

Hmm..

> Read the report from the membership committee, and several previous
> councils, *and* the author of MemberDB, *AND* Kathy's reply in this
> thread, who have all said that MemberDB actively prevents LA from
> communicating with and managing the membership.

I don't need to - they all seem to say it costs money; the Council is
legally empowered to spend money on the members' behalf and it's not
currently my problem they haven't.

> > And why haven't you asked anyone on linux-as to help you do the
> chore
> > tasks that take hours? In fact I'm not sure I've heard the Council (or
> > you) ask for help at all.for.much (I'm inclined to say anything).
>
> The creation of a membership working group (subcommittee) and a
> treasury working group/subcommittee earlier in the year is such a thing.

So the committee's been convened - have I seen Linux Australia - council
willing or otherwise DO anything about it?

> We have *plenty* of volunteers, they just work on things that they find
> interesting to them. Running an organisation is deeply boring work. We
> have a council which no longer has enough bandwidth to get the
> organisation to do anything other than what it currently does. We have
> an opportunity here to free up bandwidth in the council, so that they
> can
> potentially do the useful things that you want.

No, you don't have volunteers to run the organisation. You have volunteers
who suggest that policies be reviewed so that they can do what they want.

I'm not sure how you can't see the problem here?

DSL