[Linux-aus] How did non-event sub-comittees get formed?

James Polley jamezpolley at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 16:52:06 AEDT 2016

On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 11:47 AM, David Lloyd <lloy0076 at adam.com.au> wrote:

> [...]
> Linux Australia Constitution (“Constitution”), 21 contained in section 3).
> Whilst I realise that policies and procedures need to be in place, there’s
> actually no *legal* reason why it couldn’t delegate any of its powers to
> a sub-committee so long as it fell within furthering the aims and
> objectives of Linux Australi (“Constitution”, 13 (a, b, c)).
>

> The power to do so was in the original constitution as approved by the
> association.
>

> On a quick look at version 2 of the subcommittee policy (here
> <https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/blob/master/subcommittee_policy_v2.md>),
> I’d suggest renaming that (git mv) to “conference subcommittee policy” and
> creating a new “subcommittee policy”. In fact, if one wanted to go OOP
> style, one could gut part of the “conference subcommittee policy” into the
> “subcommittee policy” as I’m sure there would be an overlap between, say, a
> “Linux Australia – Australian Government Advocacy Subcommittee” and the
> “LCA Subcommittee”.
>

> (To be concrete, V2 of the subcommittee policy talks about running a
> conference. A possible advocacy subcommittee might not even want to run a
> conference.)
>

> But, to continue our Star Wars analogy, as the commander mentions to Lord
> Vader, “The Emperor asks the impossible – we need more men.” (I’m sorry,
> that’s a quote – it’s probably against Linux Australia’s inclusion
> policy/policies to stipulate “men” but it seems that misogyny lives on in a
> galaxy far, far away). That, I think, is the crux of the problem; Linux
> Australia doesn’t seem to have a governance issue as it once did many years
> ago before the ratification of the original association. It never really
> did but prior to then its governance fell too strongly on one or perhaps
> two people’s shoulders, a situation I’m sure we’d all agree wasn’t fair to
> those people – and let me make it clear those people did a very good job.
>

> In fact, I’m not sure why an advocacy subcommittee has to be as formal as
> described in the constitution itself. Sure, to satisfy the legal definition
> you’d probably need at least two members – although three is probably a
> more workable number – and in case the Council was worried about what they
> might actually do in its name they could fairly much neuter it by saying,
> “You can’t do anything BUT advise us to do SOMETHING on this range of
> SOMETHINGS.” So an advocacy committee could come to the conclusion that “LA
> should host lemonade stands outside each parliamentarian’s office” which, I
> suppose, the Council might reject. Or they might suggest “Linux Australia
> allocates [some funds] to work with [some professional marketers] to [do
> something]” and maybe then Linux Australia might delegate more authority to
> the subcommittee and make it more formal – especially if its busy doing
> other things like running multiple events, dealing with this and that.

To be clear, I completely agree that there's no particular reason why
people who want to do a thing (eg, advocacy) actually need to formally form
a subcommittee.

The v2 policy does describe some of the things that subcommittees get -
delegated access to bank accounts with money in them, and legal authority
to negotiate contracts. If you're running an event, running it as an LA
subcommittee gives you coverage under LA's insurance policies.

But a lot of tasks don't actually need any of that. If you wanted to write
a blog post, or give a talk at a LUG, or a host of other advocacy actions,
forming a subcommittee is almost certainly overkill.

If a lot of people were doing advocacy and wanted to have a coordinating
group and some dedicated funding, that might be the point where it's worth
creating a subcommittee.