[Linux-aus] Candidacy Support Statement - President or Ordinary Council Member

Nathan Bailey nate at polynate.net
Fri Dec 2 10:39:41 AEDT 2016

On 2 December 2016 at 08:46, Anthony Towns <aj at erisian.com.au> wrote:

> > Response #2: Develop and execute a formal recruitment program aimed at
> > younger potential members, [...]
>
> I'm not sure if this actually makes sense to me -- trying to get new
> members only makes sense if being a member is actually valuable to people;
> and if being an LA member is valuable, then word of mouth is probably
> the best way of getting people involved anyway.

True to a point, but in practice:
a) People don't necessarily communicate that value well, particularly in
the language of a novice
b) Some of the value is altruistic
c) If people aren't exposed to the community, they may never hear about it

Discretionary time is a scarce resource, and we have to ensure our "bid"
for it is well-communicated, otherwise the virtue of our offer may not be
heard.

If we want to see our vision of "open" grow, we need to be continually
reaching forward to engage new people in defining and delivering what
"open" is.
-N