[Linux-aus] Spam :: Linux Device

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Tue Apr 26 22:04:41 AEST 2016

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 04:01:27 PM Matthew Cengia wrote:
> Because this is a community-driven organisation, so it benefits everyone
> here to read your responses to Chris' queries, since they are pertinent
> to whether or not we consider you proposed solution viable.

in regard to the issue of whether Linux Australia could use his proposed anti-
spam system, the answer is obviously "no".  For YEARS we had a problem where
mail to the committee would be bounced if the sender had a SPF record with
"-all", this was well known but not fixed.  Also we have had ongoing issues of
spam to the list that could be fixed by SPF checks.  Both these problems are
much easier to solve than implementing a newly developed anti-spam system.

In terms of developing software to improve lists I have a design for a system
that would significantly improve things.  Have a list server that will create a
new mailing list and automatically subscribe everyone who posted to a
particular thread (based on email threading AND subject matching).  Then all
messages to the main list which match the thread in question get redirected to
the new list and people who post such messages geet subscribed to the new
list.  That would allow people who want to keep on discussing an issue to do
so for as long as they like without filling the inboxes of people who aren't
interested.