[Linux-aus] Grant Request - CompCon 2015 - Speaker Travel Funding

Andrew Donnellan andrew.donnellan at compcon.net.au
Wed Sep 9 21:14:09 AEST 2015

Date: 2015-09-09

Project Name: CompCon 2015 - Russell Keith-Magee

Aim of Project: To allow Russell Keith-Magee of the Django Software
Foundation to present a talk on open source development at CompCon 2015

Person Responsible for Request: Andrew Donnellan (Chair, CompCon Inc -
andrew.donnellan at compcon.net.au)

Request:

We request funding for travel and accommodation for Russell Keith-Magee to
attend the CompCon 2015 conference and give a talk on open source software
development.

CompCon 2015 is being held at the University of Queensland from 3-5 October
2015. CompCon is a national conference for computing students (primarily
undergraduates, but also high schoolers and postgraduates), first held at
the Australian National University in 2013. CompCon is organised by CompCon
Inc, a registered charity operated entirely by current students and recent
graduates. CompCon 2013 had attendance of over 130 people, and we are
hoping for CompCon 2015 to exceed this. While CompCon is not specifically
an Open Source/Free Software conference, open source will be strongly
represented in the schedule. More information is available at
http://compcon.net.au.

Russell is the President of the Django Software Foundation, a Django core
developer, and a well-known member of the Australian open source community.
He has an established speaking record at a number of major conferences,
including several PyCon AU conferences (run by Linux Australia). He was
personally recommended by a member of CompCon Inc's committee on the basis
of his talks at PyCon.

The expected benefit to the wider Australian open source community is that
the talk will provide an opportunity for students interested in open source
and free software development to learn from and network with a well-known
developer.

Estimated costs:

* Return flights PER -> BNE, 3 October - 5 October = $900
* Accommodation for 2 nights = $300
Total = $1,200

(CompCon Inc waives the conference registration fee for speakers)

---

I made a similar grant request on behalf of CompCon in 2013 to fund Elena
Williams' travel to Canberra, which was successful. I don't have exact
numbers, but Elena's talk filled a lecture theatre almost to capacity - if
we had known how many people were interested in open source we would've had
to allocate her a larger room! We're hoping for a similar level of interest
this year.

I declare that I am a member of Linux Australia Inc, I am appropriately
authorised to submit this request, and that I agree to undertake the
relevant responsibilities if the grant is approved.

Andrew

--
Andrew Donnellan
Chair, CompCon Incorporated

E: andrew.donnellan at compcon.net.au
M: +61 406 711 748
W: http://compcon.net.au

CompCon Incorporated, ABN 80 658 343 393