[Linux-aus] Fwd: Re: Grant application

Michael Van Delft michael at hybr.id.au
Fri Oct 16 16:57:36 AEDT 2015

Hi Darren,

Perhaps you can clarify some things for me because I'm really having
trouble trying to grok what you are trying to do here.

I suspect I may have spent far too much time on this already but any
way... I started by reading the PDF you had attached and I couldn't
understand what you are trying to achieve. So then moved on to the
forum link you posted and read that thread from beginning to end and I
still couldn't understand what the problem you were trying to solve
was. Or rather I think I understand what the problem you are trying to
solve is, but the way you are trying to solve it, and the crypto tools
you are using simply don't make sense to me.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but you are fundamentally trying to
solve two problems:

A) To prove something is unique.
B) To prove something has come from who it says it's from.

So part A is a bit like a serial number, in your example you use
pills. If you see two pills that have the same serial number you know
something has gone wrong, maybe one is a counterfeit. Part B is like a
PGP signature, you want to be able to prove that the pills came from a
reputable source so they are signed.

But I'm not sure how your solution solves either of those issues;

Looking just a part A, proving something is unique you say that you
will "log the number or hits each subkey receives". So effectively you
have a log of how many times it’s been queried but I don’t see how
this verifies that it’s unique. Let’s use the example of a bottle of
pills rather than an individual pill[1].

Let’s say the pill bottle is scanned by the courier who picks it up
from a manufacturing plant the way to the chemist. Then by the chemist
when they received the pills from the courier (because they want to
verify they are from the manufacturer and the courier hasn't done a
switch). Then by the customer when they get the bottle (because they
want to verify they are from the manufacturer and the chemist hasn't
done a switch). Maybe in the supply chain the bottle has been looked
up 3 times. But I don’t see how knowing that a subkey has been queried
1, 2, 3 or 27 times proves whether it’s unique or not. It could be one
bottle that's been checked 27 times, or 27 identical bottles that have
been checked once. Or 1000 identical bottles but only 27 customers
that care enough to check.

Also checking the count of how many times a subkey has been queried
relies on a single central authority (i.e. your website) that must be
trusted. There is no way others can verify the count you have is
correct.

And if part A doesn’t hold up, you can't prove something is unique, I
don’t think part B holds up either. I can’t see what would stop
someone from just opening up one bottle of pills, and replacing the
contents (with or without querying the subkey) and then passing it off
as genuine. Or simply copying the label (assuming it’s a QR code with
the public key) and producing several copies of the bottle passing
them off as genuine.

--
Kind Regards,
Michael