[Linux-aus] Linux on MacBook vs OSX used as Linux

Michele Bert micbert75 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 22:23:20 AEDT 2015

> More and more, I find I can do my Linux stuff directly on OSX without
> needing to reach out to Linux.
> I'm happy to give more feedback on my experience, but I really couldn't be
> happier.

> I'm currently running Debian Jessie on a 2010 MacBook Pro, and it runs
> like a dream. I don't run any proprietary software[0] and don't have issues
> with any hardware any more[1].

I'm actually interested in the experience of both of you.
I have a end-2009 MacBook Pro 13, running Snow Leopard, and until a month
ago I have been using it like Tennessee, through MacPort.
Recently I replaced the hard-disk, restoring the content from my backup,
and since than the compiler does not work anymore (it's not in the path,
and it always fails to run, even if called by XCode - also restored by the
backup). I cannot install the new XCode unless I update the operative
system to a recent version.
So now I'm not sure about what to do, whether to update my OSX or to
install an Ubuntu flavored distribution.

--
Mick