[Linux-aus] Laptop advise

Tennessee Leeuwenburg tleeuwenburg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 21:46:27 AEDT 2015

It think it really depends on your goals. For me, the mac hardware usually
wins on screen, form-factor, build quality and weight. Performance is not
really a concern for me any more -- the laptop is either 100% fine (99% of
what I do) or hopelessly outclassed (machine learning on a GPU). I think
even if it's not your favourite option necessarily, the option of a Mac is
the benchmark -- the one to beat. What else are you getting for your money
with another option?

On 19 November 2015 at 19:58, Roy E. <kirpit at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I know this sounds a bit cliche but I am having difficulties for choosing
> a linux laptop, after an awful experience with Lenovo T450. It was either
> incompatible with linux or some erratic hardware malfunctions, anyway it is
> going back.
>
> I am really curios if anyone here is up to date with the current
> technologies / bought any fast machine recently that plays well with
> Fedora. I am kind of a localhost person who runs everything in-box, so most
> likely I am gonna replace harddisk with SSD if it doesn't come with one. No
> budget limit.
>
> Even though performance comes before its weight for me, reddit people
> suggest Carbox X1 3rd gen that is less than 1.5 kg..
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/3dsb4p/lenovo_carbon_x1_3rd_gen_quick_review/
>

> Thank you in advance,
> Roy.

Tennessee Leeuwenburg