[Linux-aus] Acknowledgement of country

Anthony Towns aj at erisian.com.au
Sun Nov 8 15:22:51 AEDT 2015

On Sat, Nov 07, 2015 at 11:43:05AM -0500, James Turnbull wrote:
> > I don't see why you should. Are you treating them any different to, say,
> > members of an evangelical church who might have some interesting thoughts
> > on community leadership to share?
> Yes - because both groups have differing amounts of power. Evangelical
> Christians wield enormous economic and political power in Australia.

In the Linux community, at least the parts of it I see, evangelical
Christians are shunned and casually insulted with a fair degree of
regularlity. They barely have any power, let alone a disproportionate
amount.

> Which is the usual statement from folks who either don't have empathy
> for or don't understand that those statements are simply not true as
> experienced by indigenous Australians.

Which is the usual statement from folks who don't care to debate with
anyone who disagrees with them, and don't have to because they have
sufficient political and cultural power to ignore them.

(And hey, I don't even need to be able to read minds to provide evidence
for my claim.)

Cheers,
aj, at this point thinking maybe it's a good thing he missed earlybird
    prices and can still choose to skip lca