[Linux-aus] Acknowledgement of country

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Thu Nov 5 16:01:02 AEDT 2015

On Thu, 5 Nov 2015 11:49:59 AM Luke John wrote:
> Linux Australia currently has an excellent value statement and a
> proven track record of being open and welcoming to newcomers and
> embracing diversity.

The Wikipedia page you cited states that "In Federal Parliament, both houses
start each day with the Lord's Prayer and the Welcome to Country".  I don't
think it's unreasonable for Linux Australia to take the standards of Federal
Parliament as minimum standards.

> http://linux.org.au/values

To achieve the goals of the "diversity" section of that document we need to
acknowledge the fact that Australia has a long history of systemic
discriminatory treatment of many minority groups.  To "encourage diversity"
with regard to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people we have to start
by acknowledging that they occupied this land first.

> https://github.com/linuxaustralia/constitution_and_policies/blob/master/cod
> e_of_conduct.md

To provide a "fun, welcoming" environment regardles of race (when race means
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people) I think that again we need to
acknowledge who was here first.