[Linux-aus] Grant Request: Contribute to the Drupal 8 Accelerate fund

Kathy Reid kathy at kathyreid.id.au
Thu Mar 19 14:13:41 AEDT 2015

Thanks Donna for raising this - some thinking points the community may
wish to comment on below;

* Drupal events such as campus and code sprints are traditionally
umbrella'd by the Drupal Foundation, however Linux Australia has
auspiced these events in Australia for a number of very positive
reasons, such as bypassing currency and international banking issues,
and also being able to leverage some of the processes LA has in place to
support events - such as seed funds. In return, Drupal events such as
Drupal Down Under and Drupal South have returned profits to LA, instead
of say, the Drupal Foundation. It therefore makes sense to me that LA
would make a financial contribution to Drupal.

* One thing that struck me was the size of the funding that is being
sought overall - it's a significant amount. Australia by comparison has
a much smaller economy and fewer Drupal companies and practitioners by
comparison to say the US, so I think it would be reasonable for the
Drupal Association to expect a smaller contribution to be made by the
Australian region.

* Reading through the process for gaining access to Drupal 8 sprint and
code camp grants, this seems well thought out and legitimate - so people
are not going to get money without some realistic expectation of
progress towards Drupal 8.

I wonder if it would be appropriate for LA to make a financial
contribution, but with an expectation that priority for those funds be
given by Drupal Association to camp and sprint requests originating from
Australia? This would make it a win-win - LA contributes and supports
Drupal, but also aligns with our organisational values by supporting the
Australian based Drupal community.

Kind regards,
Kathy