[Linux-aus] 30TB backup

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Jun 29 12:04:20 AEST 2015

What's the best way of backing up 30TB of data?

In the past the backups of systems I run have either involved removable disks
(IE amounts of data that can fit on a maximum size SATA disk) or some
enterprisey tape setup (where someone other than me is paid to do it and money
doesn't matter).

Now one of my clients has got to the stage where they need a serious backup
and I don't know where to start.  They also don't have a lot of money to spend
on it.

The main RAID array is 27TB and the second array is 15TB.  Both of them are
expected to grow.  The majority of the data doesn't change much at all,
probably 50G of changes per day.

The main RAID arrays are ZFS pools, so part of the backup solution could
involve "zfs send" (otherwise an incremental backup of several million files
could be a pain).

The 2 servers with ZFS pools are connected by GigE, which really isn't
suitable for backing up 15TB of data.  So I guess the best option would be
some sort of removable table drive that can be connected to either server.
Are there good eSATA tape drives?