[Linux-aus] What's happening with the Membership Committee?

Michael Cordover la at mjec.net
Thu Jun 18 23:32:26 AEST 2015

On 18 June 2015 at 21:52, Joshua Hesketh <josh at nitrotech.org> wrote:

>  If that's a serious offer then that would be amazing! What we really need
> though is somebody to champion the system, make sure it has all the
> functionality and integration we need and help with the migration of
> members/data.

Fresh drupal install with base civicrm now available at
http://lacrm.mjec.net/ (Drupal 7; let me know if there's an issue with
that).

Account signup is open, and everyone is welcome to help out; shoot me an
email off-list and I'll grant whatever extra privielges you need.

Happy to do as you describe.

> Kathy had a set of basic requirements that hopefully she'll share.

This would be excellent.

> If you're still interested let me know what you think or if you need any
> help/resources (for example a dev/demo vm).

The key thing for me would be to understand what data we currently have (a
sql schema if one exists), what data we need and what we'd like to be able
to track.

CivCRM comes with member signup (linked to drupal accounts or not),
self-service updating of details, automatic membership expiry (with
reminders), recording contacts, groups etc etc. There's a huge amount of
functionality built-in. I think the important part is figuring out what
functionality we want in and what we want out. This isn't a technical
question, and it's a matter really for the Council/secretary to determine.

Lots of detail is important too: on signup do we want to collect
mailing/physical addresses? Should this be required or optional? Do we
limit countries to Australia and NZ, or do we permit any country? How does
this link in to Zookeepr; what data do we want to share? Do we want sync
between CRM entries and drupal accounts? Wiki accounts?

These detail questions are the sorts of things that might be better for a
"committee" to discuss, rather than the linux-aus list as a whole.

Upshot is: happy to push this.

Regards

Michael