[Linux-aus] [LACTTE] DCJTech - Creating Jobs and Articles

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Jun 15 10:24:53 AEST 2015

On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 02:19:29 PM Kathy Reid wrote:
> Thanks Josh and Council for bringing this to the community.
>
> I support Council in this decision due to a number of reasons;
>
>   * The grant does not state whether the content would be released on a
>     Creative Commons or other open license. If LA is funding the
>     creation of content, I would like to see it opened, like we do with
>     our own site.
>   * The assumption that $USD25 is sufficient for a 700 to 1000 word
>     article violates Australian labour laws and places LA in a
>     precarious legal position. If someone can write such an article in
>     under two hours, great, but if it takes longer than this then we are
>     paying less than minimum wage. The line between paid work and
>     volunteer work in an open source community is always blurred, but in
>     this case it is clear - the intent is to engage someone in paid
>     work. The legal side here is murky, given that the site is
>     registered in the US.
>   * My take on this is that we are paying a site to create content,
>     which that site is benefitting from. Why not spend this money paying
>     LA members to create content for the LA site?
>
> Strongly recommend this grant be respectfully declined.

I agree.

I think that it might be worth considering other ways in which LA could
encourage users to create content.  One possibility might be to have a contest
for writing Linux blog posts, a $25 prize for an an article that someone had
already published on their own blog would be a reasonable reward (I'd enter
such a contest).