[Linux-aus] Proposing that Linux Australia fund Software Freedom Conservancy

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Dec 24 14:33:55 AEDT 2015

On Fri, 2015-11-27 at 21:59 -0800, Francois Marier wrote:
> I'd like to propose that Linux Australia support the Software Freedom
> Conservancy [1] as part of its grants programme.
>
> Their leadership team, Karen Sandler and Bradley Kuhn [2], are
> members of our
> community and have talked at LCA several times. Their organisation
> represents a number of projects [3] that either originated in
> Australasia or
> have many contributors from this part of the world. In particular,
> they are
> the non-profit home of Samba and Outreachy, two projects that embody
> very
> well the values of Linux Australia.
>
> Since they are hoping to create a strong base of supporters to allow
> them
> the freedom (pun intended) to protect FOSS users and developers, it
> would be
> great to see Linux Australia become an annual supporter.
>
> The minimum monthly amount for individuals is $10 USD/month ($120 /
> year)
> but LA could certainly give more since Conservancy is putting that
> money to
> very good use.

As a member of a Conservancy project, and a rep to the Conservancy on
the Samba Team's project leadership committee, I see close-hand the
great work the Conservancy does.  It would indeed be great if Linux
Australia could (substantially) support the Conservancy, preferably by
some kind of annual grant.

How can I help move this forward?

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett