[Linux-aus] Grant Application: Growstuff

Alex Bayley skud at growstuff.org
Tue Sep 23 08:03:54 EST 2014

Date: 23rd September, 2014

Project Name: Growstuff

Aim of project: to provide an open source platform and open data for
food growers worldwide

Person responsible for request: Alex Bayley (skud at growstuff.org)

Request:

I am the founder and lead developer of Growstuff (http://growstuff.org),
an open source/open data website for people who grow their own food
(veggie gardeners, etc).  We provide the only usable international
database of crop information and planting advice that is available under
a free license (CC-BY-SA).

We have been running for 2 years as an open source project, and launched
our website (http://growstuff.org/) just over a year ago. Our database
currently has information about ~400 crops, largely crowdsourced from
our 1000+ members worldwide.  As an open source project we have had
around 40-50 code contributors, and are well known as a welcoming
community, providing mentoring and other support to new developers to
learn open source skills.

I am based in Ballarat, Victoria, and Growstuff has over a hundred
members in Australia. About a quarter of our developers to date have
been Australian, and Growstuff developers participate in local open
source and free software activities (eg. hack nights run by the
Melbourne Ruby meetup group).  Growstuff also provides technical and
open source expertise to 3000 Acres (http://3000acres.org/), a
Melbourne-based open source non-profit aiming to help locals find vacant
land to grow food. We have held one "open food hack day" with 3000 Acres
and Open Food Network (yet another open source project based in
Melbourne, who I believe received a Linux Australia grant last year),
and hope to run more of these in future.

I am applying for a grant as part of our current fundraising campaign
(http://igg.me/at/growstuff) to support the work of two developers to
improve our open data API.  Overall, we are hoping to raise $20,000 but
will be able to scale our work to the amount raised (from $10k on up);
we are seeking $2,000 from Linux Australia which would make Linux
Australia a "major sponsor" of Growstuff, and means we would include
your logo in our footer for our year, and promote you as a
sponsor/supporter of Growstuff through our newsletter/social media/etc.

The funds will go towards work on our open data API, which will include:

* Consulting with developers to determine their needs and preferences
wrt our API
* Release of a "version 1" API
* Documentation of the version 1 API on our wiki
* Suite of examples and demos to help people use Growstuff's open crop
data, published on github with documentation
* Weekly blog posts during the project, documenting our work and helping
people use our open data
* Supporting developers working with our API to build their apps

Work will commence by late October, and continue for 1-3 months
depending on funds raised.

Links:

Growstuff website: http://growstuff.org/
Github: http://github.com/Growstuff/growstuff