[Linux-aus] [clug] Chromecast on a Billion router

Jeremy Visser jeremy at visser.name
Sun Jun 22 15:39:26 EST 2014

On 16/06/14 11:39, Jeremy Kerr wrote:
> Back in 2008, I filed a support ticket for the issue (including this
> testcase), but billion denied it was a problem. They couldn't suggest
> any settings that might address the issue either - we got the same
> behaviour with IGMP snooping both disabled and enabled.

What you’ll often find is that these devices are often rebadged.  This means you will need to manage to get your request carried *very* far upstream before anybody vaguely knows what you’re talking about.

I once had a batch of NetComm NB14Wn routers where I was encountering similar multicast issues, and it was actually a ZyXEL device under the hood.  Incidentally, I once stumbled across a Billion device that was exactly the same ZyXEL under the hood.

I won’t tell you about my currently open support tickets with NetComm lest this turn into a rantfest...