[Linux-aus] Grant request: Contribution to Senate voting source code FOI request review.

Daniel Jitnah djitnah at greenwareit.com.au
Wed Jul 16 11:51:51 EST 2014

On 16/07/14 07:30, Chris Neugebauer wrote:
> On 11 July 2014 09:33, Michael Cordover <la at mjec.net> wrote:
>> On 11 July 2014 00:15, Andrew Donnellan <ajdlinux at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not sure the AEC knew quite what they were getting themselves into...
>>
>> I'd be surprised if they did - I certainly had no idea of quite how big this
>> would get!
>>
>>> Will be interesting to see what their response is to the Senate order -
>>> I'll be very surprised if they don't try to claim public interest immunity.
>>
>>  Agreed. There's a long history of refusing to table documents on the
>> grounds that they are commercial-in-confidence and I don't see the AEC
>> suddenly rolling over on that claim.
>
> Unsurprisingly, the AEC refused to comply with the Senate order:
>
> http://lee-rhiannon.greensmps.org.au/sites/default/files/ronaldson_response.pdf
>
> "...I am advised that publication of the software could leave the
> voting system open to hacking or manipulation..."

Perhaps the Open Source Community should provide "Expert Independent
advice" that opening software to scrutiny does not open system to
hacking etc., but much to the contrary.

Most likely many expert opinion can be obtained to counter the position
taken by the AEC.

LA could be well placed to facilitate the process of obtaining such advice.

Cheers
Daniel.