[Linux-aus] Photos at conferences

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Wed Jan 22 14:05:20 EST 2014

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014, Chris Neugebauer <chrisjrn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Let's try again here...
>
> On 22 Jan 2014 13:38, "Peter Lawler" <linux-aus at bleeter.id.au> wrote:
> > I would suggest that if a 'no photo' sticker, or similar indicator,
> > policy was implemented, there is
>
> Look, I'm pretty sure the Nazis also used visible identifiers on people as
> well.
>
> </Godwin>

Deliberately trying to invoke Godwin's law to shut down a discussion that you
don't like isn't clever, it isn't good for the community, and it just doesn't
work.

Chris, I'm surprised that you are trying such things.  Your contributions to
this list and the Linux community in general are usually so much better.

Unfortunately some readers of this list might take you seriously and not
realise that you are playing games here.  So I have to address your point.

The Nazi badges you refer to were imposed on people against their will and
used to discriminate against them - often used to determine who to murder.
That is totally unlike the use of conference badge notes that are used by
willing people to request that they be treated in the way that they desire.

You are correct that you are violating the Godwin rule, that doesn't mean that
the discussion should be shut down.  It merely means that your "contribution"
should end.