[Linux-aus] Photos at conferences

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Jan 21 20:55:19 EST 2014

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014, Bret Busby wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Jan 2014, Matthew Cengia wrote:
>

>> On 2014-01-21 17:18, Bret Busby wrote:
>> [...]
>>> And, what happens if someone of great value, like that Snowden guy,
>>> happens to be there?
>>>
>>> Would Linux Australia be happy with causing the death of one of the
>>> world's greatest whistleblowers, or the death of someone like the
>>> girl from Afghanistan, who believes that females are entitled to
>>> education, due to Linux Australia not acting to protect the privacy
>>> of people at its conferences, and not respecting people, because of
>>> the greater need to obtain compromising photographs?
>>
>> Again, the fact is that we live in a society where, even if people
>> didn't carry cameras on their phones, there are still cameras
>> everywhere; surveillance on public transport, in CBD streets, shopfronts
>> etc.
>>
>> If somebody fits into either of the categories of the two people you
>> mention above, do you honestly believe that the worst threat they face
>> is people deliberately photographing them at a conference? Just
>> *getting* to the conference would be risker than being there!
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Matthew Cengia
>>

> And then some bright spark from a conference, posts a photo that they
> took of the person, up on some antisocial social media, and the next
> day, the person is disappeared, or bits of the body found in the
> conference venue.
>
> Other than the two above, people like Kim Dot Com, and dissidents from
> China, who believe that the Internet and Linux, should be accessible by
> people other than the politburo; many, meany people are vulnerable, and
> are wanted to be disappeared or otherwise exterminated.
>
> Insofar as I am aware, the surveillance cameras do not go posting
> photographs on social media (unless it is some sex fiend in the
> surveillance organisation, that gets imagery of a sexual nature that
> they decide to publish).

And, a question should be asked - if a vulnerable person takes the risk
to travel to and attend a Linux Australia conference, would it be right
for Linux Australia to put the bullet in the gun?

Whish is more important - being able to take compromising photographs,
or, courtesy, respect, privacy and safety?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."