[Linux-aus] Photos at conferences

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Tue Jan 21 14:53:20 EST 2014

I wonder if we are over thinking this and there isn't a more elegant,
hackerish solution.

Poking your camera in someone's face or ignoring requests not to take
pictures certainly shows a lack of consideration and isn't acceptable
behaviour which would seem to be covered by the existing code of conduct
under harassment.

However photography is pervasive in our society. Cameras aren't limited
to SLRs in the hand of enthusiasts but are in every phone, tablet and
laptop and are used for surveillance inside and outside most venues and
in our streets. Enforcing limits on photography isn't really achievable
when the person checking their email is actually taking a photo or the
black dome in the ceiling can't read the no-photography sticker on your
lanyard.

Perhaps a simpler solution would be for people who feel strongly about
the issue to wear a mask, scarf, bandana, hijab, niqab or perhaps camo
makeup.

It is a stronger protection against unwanted photography and doesn't
require draconian measures against the many to protect the few.