[Linux-aus] Nomination for Council Member / Treasurer

Tennessee Leeuwenburg tleeuwenburg at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 20:18:17 EST 2014

Thank you for those links, Steve. They make for unpleasant reading. I don't
generally get past the first paragraph of such guff. Perhaps I'm slow on
the uptake, but I *think* that the only link here between David and this
particular author is being published by the same magazine? I wouldn't be
too quick to judge David by that affiliation, but I do think it's
reasonable to question his views of those articles.

In general, I don't think that people should always have to declare their
affiliations when applying for office. I think the test should be that
people *should* declare any affiliations which may be, or be perceived to
be, a conflict of interest. Failing to do so risks undermining the
confidence of the membership in the process, and risks potential
embarassment to LA. However, that shouldn't be taken to mean that every
affiliation or detail of someone's life is fair game. I think that the
candidate overview document I suggested earlier should include a section
whereby candidates are prompted to list affiliations if they choose to do
so.

I also accepted a nomination as a general member. I received (what I felt
was) little guidance on what was expected, and that only after inquiring. I
think that David should be forgiven any failures to foresee this particular
issue, as candidates are basically sent in without much support. I
attempted to include a basic skills resume in my acceptance spiel, but that
was a result of guessing what was appropriate to include. Perhaps (if
successful) something I might advance would be improved documentation for
this process.

It is incredibly hard to foresee issues. Having some kind of clear process
at least helps to cover the basics.

On 19 December 2014 at 14:43, Steve Walsh <steve at nerdvana.org.au> wrote:

> Hi Tennessee
>
> On 12/18/2014 11:25 AM, Tennessee Leeuwenburg wrote:
> > I'm not aware of the details of the allegation of hostility, it's a
> > bit hard to people unaware of what you are referring to to judge your
> > claim. Without that evidence, it sounds like you might be drawing a
> > bit of a long bow here.
> >

> http://www.itwire.com/opinion-and-analysis/open-sauce/62138-elitist-linux-australia-has-no-time-for-the-less-fortunate

> http://www.itwire.com/opinion-and-analysis/beerfiles/58486-closed-minds-of-%E2%80%9Copen-source%E2%80%9D-eject-itwire-from-linux-conference
>
> Everyone one of the Author's articles have the Disclaimer at the top;
>
> Author's Opinion
>
> The views in this column are those of the author and do not necessarily
> reflect the views of iTWire.
>
> However whenever the author has been taken to task in comment threads,
> the editor and part-owner of the publication post a comment stating that
> ITWire is 100% behind Sam and his article.
>
> regards

Tennessee Leeuwenburg
http://myownhat.blogspot.com/
"Don't believe everything you think"