[Linux-aus] Nomination for Council Member / Treasurer

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sat Dec 20 13:37:43 EST 2014

Chris,

Fair enough, but, should he have to disclose it? Think about it before
you answer.

How many of us have affiliations with multiple organisations, should we
be declaring everything everywhere any time we make a comment,
regardless of where that comment is made? No, of course not.

If Sam was singing the praises of LA, would people like Steve Walsh and
all who agree with him, be making such a fuss? No, of course they
wouldn't.

Except in that case, I *would* find it most appropriate that he declare
his membership, since when *praising* the organisation people should be
aware that someone in media who's publicly supporting an organisation is
a member, to be aware that it may be exaggerated hype, to get more
people interested... after all *that* it's a form of free positive
advertising.

You have to take the good with the bad, and if you don't like what a
journo writes, you look at what he/she wrote, then address those issues,
and one day, that journo just might, give the organisation a positive
mention.

Perhaps the 2015 council will look at Sam's gripes, and do something
about it. Perhaps set up an anonymous (with spam bot protection of
course) suggestion box, where members can lodge any issues, and LA as a
whole can address them. I say anonymous, because there are a lot of folk
here who jump on bandwagons to support their mates, when they seemingly
have NFI, this way, even those "heroes" can bring something to councils
attention without upsetting their friends, I've noticed over the years
trying to do that on mailing lists just drags in the hords of
renta-crowds, as I call em, those that don't think for themselves but
just backup their mates no mater what and tehrefor are reluctant to
bring up an issue they think should be addresses, but that's not just a
LA issue, it's a general problem :)

Disclaimer: Since some people may be wondering - no, I don't know Sam,
no, I don't know David, but I do know how to look at things from all
sides before making a conclusion, or jumping in on some bandwagon, or
trying to influence the membership at an election time, which this
really does border on.

Cheers

On 20/12/2014 05:15, Chris Neugebauer wrote:

> Noel,
>
> On 20 December 2014 at 03:13, Noel Butler <noel.butler at ausics.net> wrote:
>
>> I see nothing written there that is false or misleading, in fact I only pondeer why "Sam" did not join LA if not already a member, and run for council to change those things.
>
> As our Secretary, Kathy Reid notes in [0 [1]], Sam is a member of Linux
> Australia, and fails to disclose this fact in his writings about Linux
> Australia.
>
> --Chris

Links:
------