[Linux-aus] Nomination for Council Member / Treasurer

David Williams davidmwilliams at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 15 16:01:06 EST 2014

Hi all,

While I am unlikely to be known to many of you I've been around Linux (UNIX) for over 20 years, as a sysadmin, consultant, developer, advocate and company executive.

I have been watching the list and feel concerned that the number of candidates is less than the number of vacancies. I, like you, want Linux Australia to enjoy a long future and I am prepared to commit myself to make this happen.

Of course, maybe my presence may inspire others to accept their nominations, or to nominate others, and even to vote if just to vote against me - but if so, then I have still served a democratic purpose in advancing this election and that's a good result. What I don't want to see in this organisation is simply apathy.

I still need a second nomination to become a valid candidate. Perhaps you may like to be my second nominator?

With respect to the positions -

Council Member~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Hi there! I am nominating myself for Council Member.

Firstly, I have worked with UNIX (and later Linux) since 1990. I have advocated free and open source technologies in the decades since, via print and online as well as to company executives and boards. Some of my writings have been, to my pleasure, used by Linux Australia in its own advocacy materials from time to time.

I have held roles ranging from UNIX systems manager, systems analyst, and on to business analyst, project manager and Chief Information Officer.

I believe I offer an ability to articulate benefits of Linux and related technologies to corporations at the highest level.

Now, this said, I am motivated by what appears to be a dearth of committed candidates in this current election. I, like you, do not want to see Linux Australia without leadership or direction. I am thus prepared and willing to make my own commitment of time and effort to ensure continuity.
Treasurer~~~~~~~~Hi there! I am nominating myself for Treasurer.

I am motivated by what appears to be a dearth of committed candidates in this current election. I, like you, do not want to see Linux Australia without leadership or direction. I am thus prepared and willing to make my own commitment of time and effort to ensure continuity.

The position of Treasurer is an important one and needs someone to do the job.

I am not without financial acumen; I have managed budgets for enterprise IT departments, provided strategic financial reports for executive management and generally worked with the numbers for companies, large and small, national and international, public and private, for many years.

Ordinarily, I would think someone would come to the Treasurer role after having first served on the committee in other roles but Linux Australia needs a Treasurer, and it needs a Treasurer who isn't going to shy away from the hard jobs, and who puts their hand up to ensure this vital function is performed.
 Sincere regards, David W