[Linux-aus] CFP: Sysadmin Miniconf at Linux.conf.au 2014

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Sun Sep 15 20:28:11 EST 2013

                  Call for Presentations
    Linux.conf.au 2014 Systems Administration Miniconf

As part of the linux.conf.au conference in Perth, Australia in January
2014 we will be holding a one day mini conference oriented to Linux
Systems Administration.

The organisers of the Systems Administration Miniconf would like to invite
proposals for presentations to be delivered at the Miniconf. Please
forward this CFP to your colleagues, social networks, and other relevant
mailing lists.

This is our 8th year at Linux.conf.au. To see presentations from our
previous years, see the miniconf website http://sysadmin.miniconf.org/.

Presentation Topics
===================

Topics for presentations could include (but are not limited to):

Systems Administration, Virtualisation, Cloud computing, Devops,
Monitoring, Dealing with "Bring Your Own Device", Configuration
Management, Backups, Security, Troubleshooting, Buying Decisions, Identity
Management, Two Factor Authentication, Web and Email management, Wiki,
Clustering and High Availability, Log Management, Spam and Virus
Filtering, VOIP, Ticketing systems, Bootstrapping and automated
installation, Packaging and Provisioning, Keeping legacy systems
functioning.

We strongly welcome topics on best practice, new developments in systems
administration and cutting edge techniques to better manage Linux hosts
and environments.

Presentations should be of a technical nature and speakers should assume
that members of the audience have at least a couple of years experience in
Unix/Linux administration.

Format of Presentations
=======================

We are now seeking proposals for presentations at the mini-conference. We
have openings for:

     45 minute double-length presentations
     20 minute full presentations
     10-20 minute "How we do things" presentations
     5-10 minute "lightning talks"

Please note, due to the single day available, we expect the majority of
available timeslots to be 20 minutes long or less.

The 10-20 minute "How we do things" presentations are intended for people
to talk about their sites. Information could include: Servers, talks,
tools, people and roles, experiences, software, operating systems,
monitoring, alerting, provisioning etc. The intent is to give attendees a
picture of what is happening in the "real world" and some understanding of
how other sites work, as well as offer you a chance to get suggestions on
other tools and practices that might help your site. Discussion of
"lessons learned" through really trying to use some of these things are
especially welcomed.

Submitting talks
================

Please note that in order to give a presentation or attend the miniconf
you must be signed up for the main linux.conf.au conference. Presenting at
the Miniconf does not entitle you to discounted or free registration at
the main conference nor priority with registration. Unfortunately the
Miniconf has no budget for sponsorship of speakers.

Submissions should be made via:

http://sysadmin.miniconf.org/proposal14.html

Questions should be sent to:

lca2014 @ sysadmin.miniconf.org

Dates and Deadlines
===================

To encourage early submissions priority (both of inclusion and scheduling)
will be given to presentations submitted before the 6th of October.

     2013-10-06 - Deadline for early submissions
     2013-10-13 - Early submissions confirmation
     2013-11-01 - Deadline for submissions
     2013-11-15 - Confirmation of all presentations
     2013-01-06 - Start of Miniconf and 1st day on linxu.conf.au

Contact and Questions

Please see our website at http://sysadmin.miniconf.org for more
information on the miniconf, past presentations and presenting at it.

If you have any questions please feel free to email the organisers at:

lca2014 @ sysadmin.miniconf.org