[Linux-aus] grr

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Fri Oct 18 20:35:20 EST 2013

On Fri, 18 Oct 2013 10:40:20 Stewart Smith wrote:
> $400 is insanely cheap for a conference - the majority of other ones I
> speak are quite decently over three times that (often closer 4
> times). Absolutely none of these have discounted entry for hobbyists -
> linux.conf.au is rather unique in this regard - trying to be as
> inclusive as possible.

http://www.linux-kongress.org/2010/fees.html

Last time Linux Kongress ran it cost students E150 for 2 days of conference
and E200 for 2 days of tutorials.  The regular price was E450 and E600
respectively.

http://www.xe.com/

According to xe.com that translates to $500 for a student to attend for 4 days
and $1500 for full price to attend for 4 days.  So the LK prices for student
and regular entrance seem very comparable to the "professional" and fairy
penguin sponsor prices for LCA (especially given that LCA is a 5 day event).

Are there any other conferences we can compare to?  I couldn't find a price for
OLS and I'm not aware of any other conferences that are worth comparing.

In terms of the expense in providing a conference some of the features of LCA
drive higher prices.  One significant issue is the size of the conference and
the goal the every delegate attends the keynote lectures, that restricts the
choice to a small number of venues.

http://etbe.coker.com.au/2010/04/19/micro-conference/

Some years ago I investigated the possibility of having a micro-conference
immediately before or after LCA.  I ended up not going ahead with that, but
the prices give an idea of the market for that sort of thing.  It looked like
$NZ135 per delegate for a 2 day conference with one conference dinner.  Medium
size hotels are really cheap for this sort of thing as they have unused
capacity for catering AND they want to drive bookings of hotel rooms.

Note that such a low cost conference venue takes up about half the hobbyist
price for LCA even when you are planning to spend money on nothing else (no
Internet access, no professional video recording, no subsidising travel for
speakers, etc).