[Linux-aus] grr

Stewart Smith stewart at flamingspork.com
Fri Oct 18 10:40:20 EST 2013

Robyn Willison <robyn at robynspcs.com> writes:
> Once again where do Pensioners and Unemployed etc apply. According to
> your website we are Hobbyists and should be paying $399 to go.

Over the past 10 years or so of linux.conf.au, the pricing has been
structured so that:
Professional: generates some revenue to seed next year, covers "nice to
              haves" along with essential conference expenses
Hobbyist: covers the bare bones of what it costs for that person to
          attend. If the conference were to be all hobbyist
          registrations, it would likely be unable to happen.
Student: Heavily discounted, decently below cost, designed as an
         investment in the next generation.

$400 is insanely cheap for a conference - the majority of other ones I
speak are quite decently over three times that (often closer 4
times). Absolutely none of these have discounted entry for hobbyists -
linux.conf.au is rather unique in this regard - trying to be as
inclusive as possible.

> It's damn rude, there are young and old pensioners who are contributers
> to this Linux Community.

This has been part of the audience of the hobbyist registration -
providing access to linux.conf.au at the lowest cost we can get away
with.

So while I totally understand that $400 can be a lot of money, it's also
really what it costs for a not-for-profit, volunteer run conference of
this type. There's honestly not much that can be cut and still have LCA
be LCA.

--
Stewart Smith