[Linux-aus] Declaration of election

Linux Australia Secretary secretary at linux.org.au
Mon Nov 4 22:38:51 EST 2013

Hi everyone,

The queries regarding the announce list and whether members are added
automatically or as part of our process fall within the role of
Secretary and I would like to take the opportunity to address them.

1. Members, after a due diligence check is done to ensure that the
member is a natural person, and after their membership is approved in
MemberDB are sent a 'personal welcome' email that includes the details
of the mailing lists that they can sign up to. The personal welcome
email is pasted below and we warmly welcome suggestions or additions.

2. Members are NOT automatically added to the announce list. This is a
manual process, using the mass subscribe functionality within mailman.
Admittedly I've been a bit slack in doing the mass subscribe so to echo
previously expressed sentiments, patches are welcome to help automate this.

3. Having the Declaration of Election on the website is my oversight;
this has been rectified.

As always, your feedback and comments are warmly welcomed.
Kind regards,
Kathy

---

Personal welcome email currently sent to new members;

Dear new Linux Australia members,

Welcome.

You're receiving this email as you have recently applied to become a new
Linux Australia member, and your membership application has been approved.

Thank you for your interest in joining an organisation committed to the
advocacy, evangelism and adoption of Linux and other free and open
source technologies. Linux Australia is the peak body for Linux User
Groups (LUGs) around Australia, and as such represents approximately
5000 Australian Linux users and developers. Linux Australia is
voluntarily bound by the principles embodied by its statement of values
<http://linux.org.au/values> and the articles of association, and
undertakes to operate at all times in an open, transparent and
democratic manner.

This email contains some brief information on how you can access more
information and benefits from Linux Australia.

We again welcome you to our community and look forward to your
participation.

Kind regards,

Kathy Reid
on behalf of the Linux Australia Council

Linux Australia website - http://www.linux.org.au - including;

Our values - https://www.linux.org.au/values
Meeting minutes - https://www.linux.org.au/news
Grants program - https://www.linux.org.au/projects/grants
Jobs board - https://www.linux.org.au/jobs
Upcoming events - https://www.linux.org.au/events

is the main mailing lists, subscribe to 'announce' for less frequent
important postings)

Linux Australia on Twitter and Identi.ca - @LinuxAustralia

Linux Australia on IRC - #linux.conf.au on freenode.net

Linux Australia on LinkedIn - http://www.linkedin.com/company/2966738

--
Kathy Reid
Secretary