[Linux-aus] Request for creation of "Video Recording and Streaming"

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sun Mar 31 15:37:40 EST 2013

On Sun, 31 Mar 2013, Peter Lawler <linux-aus at bleeter.id.au> wrote:
> The loop wasn't working and the keynote speaker talked so fast the
> speaker was apparently mostly incomprehensible. The speaker permitted
> live streaming, however there was no permission granted for storage of
> the talk for later viewing/listening. Thus, I believe, this keynote was
> effectively a waste of time for some attendees.

I'm guessing that was the keynote speaker I couldn't understand even though I
have no hearing problems.  Speaking quickly and echo in the hall meant that it
wasn't possible to hear from the back rows.

> If there are no rights given for storage and later viewing (ie, this
> would have also applied to the DSD talk this year - this was in a small
> room with no audio loop)?
> Should the timetable be clearly marked as to which talks won't be
> accessible?

IMHO the timetable should be clearly marked as to which talks won't be
available for viewing at a later date.  Also the few such talks should be in
large rooms.

> Should keynote speakers be asked to provide their own script (no matter
> how 'bad' it's quality) beyond the slides for the purposes of aiding
> subtitling?

Talks which follow such a script won't be much good IMHO.  When I attend a
conference I don't do so to see someone read from script.