[Linux-aus] Request for creation of "Video Recording and Streaming"

Peter Lawler linux-aus at bleeter.id.au
Sun Mar 31 06:09:56 EST 2013

On 30/03/13 22:59, Ian wrote:
> I know I had problems with hearing a number of the talks because I wear
> hearing aids and they just didn't pick up the speaker at times.
> Also note that through a miscommunication the hearing Loop system wasn't
> able to be utilised in Llewellyn Hall as the Tech that could set that up
> was on leave at the time which meant a few of us had to arrange to be
> seated at the front to try to hear the keynote speakers. Once they knew of
> our problems the LCA Team did what they could to help but it was a Hall
> problem and out of their hands.
>
> Heads-up to future LCA's, check the presence and operation of Loop
> Induction systems for those of us with hearing loss.

My 2c,
I had heard (no pun intended) of particular difficulties some hearing
aid users had with one keynote speaker this year. Not sure if it was
you, but for the purposes of my early morning ramblings it doesn't
really matter.

The loop wasn't working and the keynote speaker talked so fast the
speaker was apparently mostly incomprehensible. The speaker permitted
live streaming, however there was no permission granted for storage of
the talk for later viewing/listening. Thus, I believe, this keynote was
effectively a waste of time for some attendees.

Also, the issue of subtitling talks after the event. Whilst slides are
usually quite easy to follow, some aren't but also the Q&A section at
the end of talks - again particularly keynotes - may be of interest to
those with hearing difficulties and the current solution, it would seem
to me, is sub-optimal.

Some questions to which I'm not actually seeking answers right now, but
to trigger some thoughts:
Should keynote streams should be live subtitled and/or an Auslan
interpreter be utilised?
If there are no rights given for storage and later viewing (ie, this
would have also applied to the DSD talk this year - this was in a small
room with no audio loop)?
Should the timetable be clearly marked as to which talks won't be
accessible?
Should keynote speakers be asked to provide their own script (no matter
how 'bad' it's quality) beyond the slides for the purposes of aiding
subtitling?
Should the slides themselves be made available along side the videos so
TTS systems can be used?
(To bring it back to the original post of this thread) Should the Video
& Recording subcomittee have as a directive from LA to investigate and
deploy systems (speech to text applications [of the FLOSS nature, of
course!] to aid in subtitling, custom audio loops, subtitling, Auslan
interpreters) for hard of hearing as well as seek volunteers, away from
LCA's own volunteers, for major events to assist with post-production
subtitling (and should subtitlers receive attendance discounts or swag
if they're going to perform this task remotely)?

I understand that there may have been no profoundly deaf people at
LCA2013, but I do wonder if that is because there appears to be no
formal system in place for their support and thus not clearly indicated
on the official promotion and registration pages etc, instead of no one
registering and asking. One thing's for sure, ironing out (some of) the
above issues *before* they're needed by profoundly deaf would be of
great assistance to aid any year's LCA and Video Team organisers
discover in the final few weeks that they need to cross this bridge.

Pete.