[Linux-aus] Request for creation of "Video Recording and Streaming" subcommittee

Tim Ansell mithro at mithis.com
Thu Mar 28 21:41:58 EST 2013

On 28 March 2013 03:18, David Lyon <david.lyon at hackerpads.com> wrote:

> On 28.03.2013 05:39, Tim Ansell wrote:
> > If you have watched my talk at
> > LCA2012 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCoCRmcrPlM [1] - you'll
> > already know the best way to get high quality video is to do live
> > streaming.
>
> Nice Tim,
>
> Forgive me asking, but in that video back then you said you wanted to
> get it going.

Fast forward to now, I assume it's pretty much sorted out? I know you
> know
> that I have seen it working nicely, but I'm wondering how many things
> are
> on the todo list.

I know you're trolling, but here is an actual detailed response for anyone
who is interested.

LCA2012, PyCon US 2012 and 2013 where all examples of where the system
are/were working. Keep getting lots of great feedback. Things are moving
fast - FYI Just in the last year, webm has gone from <5% of the streams to
around >75% (go chrome!). Working with James to eventually make this a
single button setup using Amazon Cloud Formation. *Would love help!* Code
at https://github.com/timvideos/timvideos and mailing list at
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/timvideos (moved from
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/streamtime).

The "single room, single talk, user group" user case is still being worked
on. The first revision was just not reliable enough to allow someone other
than myself to operate (mainly due to dodgy cabling and placement of
parts). I have a *revision two* of the portable system and I'll be using it
as the year goes on. Still waiting to produce something that is easily
reproducible, might not be possible with this hardware setup.

The TwinPac device which is the central system of the current solution has
been EOL and nothing was released to replace it. We are now working on Open
Source hardware to replace it and provide features that were previously
impossible. Code at https://github.com/timvideos/hdmi2usb and mailing list
at https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/hdmi2usb

dvswitch which is also central to the current system only supports a
"standard definition" workflow. We are interested to upgrading to high
definition and multiple streams, hence the gst-switch is being developed.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/gst-switch

New technologies have opened new avenues, hangouts and webrtc are coming.
Things like automatic speaker tracking using OpenCV and face detection are
on the cards, it's an exciting time to be involved with this stuff.

The whole point of this group is to help evaluate these systems and get
them ready for LCA without it being a burden on LCA organisers. A/V
discussions for 2014 and 2015 should already be happening now.

Tim