[Linux-aus] Request for creation of "Video Recording and Streaming" subcommittee

Andrew Cowie andrew at operationaldynamics.com
Wed Mar 20 12:23:28 EST 2013

On Wed, 2013-03-20 at 12:11 +1100, Michael Still wrote:

> This is a really good idea. There were some interesting ideas at the
> end of LCA about how to do video "in the cloud",

The part that's computationally intensive is encoding (and doing it
multiple times as you iteratively improve things). That would be a
natural for being on cloud infrastructure (public or otherwise), not to
mention subsequently serving it from there, but the catch would be
getting the raw video up to said servers in the first place. I mean,
uncompressed raw video is *big*, right?

++

(off topic for linux-aus? Maybe we ought to stand up a mainling list for
this, yeah?)

AfC
Sydney