[Linux-aus] Open-Source and getting behind our young talent pool.

David Lyon (Hackerpads) david.lyon at hackerpads.com
Fri Mar 8 12:12:36 EST 2013

On 07.03.2013 19:23, Nathan Bailey wrote:
> Good work. Would be good to see this repeated at other programming
> groups and LUGs to get a national perspective.

I can do some of that, especially in Sydney.

> David, do you have a proposal for how the application and selection
> process would work? (eg. would be good if a group of 3-5 people took
> 50 applications and made a shortlist of 3-5 for funding to LA, of
> which 2-3 might be funded?)

No I don't. My experience is more on the ground working in different
countries do Open-Source projects.

I can see that there is a procedural challenge. In that either I have
to apply for the grants up-front, or there may need to be some sort
of pre-approval to a particular amount.

It's unlikely/undesirable that the young person should be asked to
apply for the grant.

These are easily solved by a 'management-decision'.

Using a short-list is reasonable.

Having the young person front up in person (after having given talks
in public) and talk to committee members to put their case for a
final decision might also be valid. So for example, choose the best
from a pool of 12 might be worth considering.

One of the best ways would be to do an official page on the web site
so that it is clear that the process is underway. That shouldn't be
done without a bit more discussion.

David