[Linux-aus] Political Recognition for Technology in Australia - was Re: Seeking feedback - EFA Citizens Not Suspects campaign

David Lyon david.lyon at hackerpads.com
Thu Jun 27 10:23:45 EST 2013

On 25.06.2013 19:46, Daniel Black wrote:

> Its more that technology isn't a single issue compared to gay rights
> or
> farmers rights.

Sure. It's definitely a whole group of issues.

>> Now things have regressed and technology people have less rights to
>> speak (in the political sense)
>> than Farmers or the Gay movement.
>
> in what way?

Technology is part of (or is in high-tech economies) manufacturing
capability of the country. In Japan or Germany or the USA, it's very
central to how
their economies work.

We saw Wayne Swann brush away Startup valuation Share Allocation
workings and that has had a crushing effect in the Startup Scene. We saw
unreasonable Tariff reductions on the Automotive sector smash up that
Industry.

If you catch a spot of TV in Japan or Germany you'll quickly see how
focused it is on making technology (and therefore advancing humanity).

Yes, the Government lavishes itself with multi-billion $ NBN that works
out per household to hundreds-of-thousands of dollars per install (if
not more).

If somebody can point out the good sense that drives Technology
policies in Australia, I'd love to see it.

David