[Linux-aus] Seeking feedback - EFA Citizens Not Suspects campaign

Daniel Black daniel.subs at internode.on.net
Sun Jun 16 18:03:12 EST 2013

On 08/06/13 11:06, Linux Australia Secretary wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> From time to time, Linux Australia is approached by various
> organisations to seek support for campaigns or initiatives. Many of
> these fall into the category of grants and sponsorship - cf. the recent
> work we have been doing with the Australian Internet Governance Forum
> and GovHack.

> In this case, we've been approached to support a political
> campaign being run by Electronic Frontiers Australia called 'Citizens
> not suspects'. We warmly welcome the approach from EFA, and now would
> like to gauge community feedback to help guide our support actions.
>
> The essence of the Citizens not suspects campaign is to oppose, and
> bring to bear political pressure, to reject a number of proposals
> currently before parliament, including;

I do see the merit in EFA's campaign. Its a general citizens rights issue.

Is LA going to be a media contact for other citizen rights issues? Take
for instance the Senate just completed a inquiry into Sex discrimination
bill amendments endorsing increasing the right for religious
organisations to discriminate based on sexual orientation, gender
identity and relationship status including the right to expel students
from religious schools. As this is is also a human rights issue should
LA be involved here too? I suspect not.

I see it the same with EFA's campaign and the only increased relevance
is that it involves technology. I think LA putting out a position on
this would confuse journalists as to who the real contact is for
internet citizens rights issues and as EFA does this really well already
in that arena perhaps we should keep to open source and open data issue.
I have seen SAGE-AU do really well in increasing their media coverage
around the internet filter issues by focusing on technical aspects that
represented their organisation and not venturing into social/moral
judgements issues.

I appreciate that LA has got a good funding source for supporting causes
more than a civil rights organisation could ever support so I have no
problem with contributing funds to their campaign as it seems to be in
the interest of members (hey I did a parliament submission too).