[Linux-aus] Mental trauma is real (was Re: Seeking feedback - EFA Citizens Not Suspects campaign)

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sat Jun 15 22:35:07 EST 2013

On Sat, 15 Jun 2013, Peter Lawler <linux-aus at bleeter.id.au> wrote:
> Mental trauma is as real as physical trauma. To even allude to the idea
> - let alone spell out - that mental trauma cannot ever be a genuinely
> debilitating condition is deeply, *DEEPLY*, offensive.

Your emotional arguments have not convinced me that white collar crime is more
serious than violent crime such as bank robberies.  They also don't convince
me that meta-data analysis would be unable to catch any criminals.

I am still convinced that David Lyon's claims are incorrect and should be
avoided by anyone who wants to make a convincing case against government
surveillance.

http://www.citizensnotsuspects.org.au/
http://www.schneier.com/ (not the latest post)

Now I suggest that people read serious web sites such as the above.

http://www.nsa.gov/about/cryptologic_heritage/museum/

I think that this discussion went wrong about the time when someone cited the
movie "Mercury Rising".  Such movies won't teach you anything about the NSA,
they have a really good museum to teach you all the positive unclassified
things (see above URL) and occasional whistle-blowers to tell us about the
less positive and classified stuff.  Really such movies are only useful if you
meet a .mil or .gov person and want to wind them up.