[Linux-aus] Seeking feedback - EFA Citizens Not Suspects campaign

Glen Turner gdt at gdt.id.au
Thu Jun 13 08:15:55 EST 2013

On 13/06/13 03:24, Bret Busby wrote:

> What happens, when, because of the assumed support by Linux Australia,
> for the "security measures", by the silence and lack of support by Linux
> Australia, for opposition to the Internet Oppression, the web site and
> mailing lists, and, possibly, the organisation itself, of Linux
> Australia, are each shut down, by ASIC or otherwise by the oppressive
> federal parliament, for not being sufficiently obsequious?

I think in seeking a parallel with the Gestapo that you strain to make a
convincing analogy.

However it seems to me that there are strong parallels between the
fetishism of the Stasi for collecting everything about their population
(even down to the smell of their underwear) and the Internet monitoring
proposal.  Just as the information collection activities of the Stasi
corroded GDR civil society I expect the same to be true of these proposals.

As for "oppressive federal parliament" I rather see the problem with
Internet monitoring as a threat to operation of parliament. The
Parliamentary Library wold never divulge the reader of a book. This
proposal makes the same information collection by electronic means
available directly to the secret organs of the state.

--
Glen Turner <http://www.gdt.id.au/~gdt/>