[Linux-aus] Seeking feedback - EFA Citizens Not Suspects campaign

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Sun Jun 9 17:50:39 EST 2013

On Sun, 9 Jun 2013, Bret Busby wrote:

> Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 12:23:00
> From: Bret Busby <bret at busby.net>
> To: linux-aus at linux.org.au
> Cc: jlawrence at efa.org.au
> Subject: Re: [Linux-aus] Seeking feedback - EFA Citizens Not Suspects campaign
>
> On Sat, 8 Jun 2013, Linux Australia Secretary wrote:
>
>> Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2013 09:06:21
>> From: Linux Australia Secretary <secretary at linux.org.au>
>> To: linux-aus at linux.org.au
>> Cc: jlawrence at efa.org.au
>> Subject: [Linux-aus] Seeking feedback - EFA Citizens Not Suspects campaign
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> From time to time, Linux Australia is approached by various organisations
>> to seek support for campaigns or initiatives. Many of these fall into the
>> category of grants and sponsorship - cf. the recent work we have been doing
>> with the Australian Internet Governance Forum and GovHack. In this case,
>> we've been approached to support a political campaign being run by
>> Electronic Frontiers Australia called 'Citizens not suspects'. We warmly
>> welcome the approach from EFA, and now would like to gauge community
>> feedback to help guide our support actions.
>>
>> The essence of the Citizens not suspects campaign is to oppose, and bring
>> to bear political pressure, to reject a number of proposals currently
>> before parliament, including;
>>
>> * a proposal for *mandatory retention of data* relating to the
>>   internet and telecommunications activity of all Australians for up
>>   to two years. This data could include records of your phone calls,
>>   your location, the websites you visit, the searches you make and who
>>   you send emails to and who you receive them from.
>>
>> *   a proposal to make it a crime to *refuse to provide authorities
>>   with passwords* for encrypted communications, which could include
>>   your email, as well as your Facebook and other accounts.
>>
>> * a proposal to give ASIO the power to *add, modify or delete files on
>>   any computer.*
>>
>> *http://www.citizensnotsuspects.org.au/
>> *
>>
>> Specifically, we are seeking feedback on;
>>
>> 1. The level of comfort in the community in taking a specific political
>> position against the proposals
>> 2. The type and level of support you believe it would be appropriate to
>> provide - such as financial, in kind through raising awareness etc,
>> utilising the #DataRetention hashtag etc
>> 3. Any other feedback you may wish to provide
>>
>> Feedback may be sent to list - if you're comfortable with it being made
>> public, or privately to myself.
>> Please indicate if you would like your feedback kept in confidence and I
>> will not disclose the source of feedback.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice,
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Kathy
>>
>> on behalf of Council
>>
>> --
>> Kathy Reid
>> Secretary
>> Linux Australia
>>
>> secretary at linux.org.au
> [...]

And now, the NSW state government has apparently sold the NSW
schoolchildren to the White House as playthings to amuse the
perversions of the White House and its Staff; at
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-09/parents-oppose-data-tracking-in-schools/4742582
is

"
SafeGov survey finds parents want to ban online data tracking in schools
By Katie Silver
Posted June 09, 2013 16:30:27

A national survey has revealed parents overwhelming object to their
children's data being tracked by private companies.

About 1,000 parents participated in the survey about online privacy in
schools which was commissioned by SafeGov - an organisation that
promotes the safe use of cloud computing.

The research found that four in five Australian parents want a ban on
data tracking in schools to protect their kids from online advertising.

More than 90 per cent of surveyed parents were against online data
tracking in schools.

The Australian Council of State School Organisations (ACSSO) has used
the survey results to call for tougher protection measures to be put in
place.

The call comes after the Department of Education made a deal with Google
to provide cloud computing, apps and email to New South Wales students.

ACSSO's president Peter Garrigan says much of the danger lies in how the
data will be used in the future.

"Our young people - their privacy is being invaded," he said.

"Their data is being stored, it is going into the cloud and what is
going to happen once they finish school."

Mother Cecila Shelgel says the Education Department is not upholding its
responsibilities.

"I feel as if the Education Department is moving away from taking
responsibility from protecting my child's privacy online and abdicating
that to an external commercial organisation," she said.

"I would much prefer that the school system retain that responsibility."
"

No doubt, material like love letters and other communications between
the students, will be used to blackmail them into spying for the White
House, or its agencies, in later years.

And, it needs to be remembered, with state governments selling children
to overseas powers, that google is subject to the USA Patriot Act, so
all communications and material relating to the NSW schoolchildren, will
be able to be freely accessed by the perverts in the USA "intelligence"
and "security" agencies, leading to the president of the USA being
briefed as to what NSW school student is having what kind of
relationship with what other person, and, the latest school gossip, as
matters of urgent national security of the USA.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."