[Linux-aus] Seeking feedback - EFA Citizens Not Suspects campaign

Linux Australia Secretary secretary at linux.org.au
Sat Jun 8 11:06:21 EST 2013

Hi everyone,

 From time to time, Linux Australia is approached by various
organisations to seek support for campaigns or initiatives. Many of
these fall into the category of grants and sponsorship - cf. the recent
work we have been doing with the Australian Internet Governance Forum
and GovHack. In this case, we've been approached to support a political
campaign being run by Electronic Frontiers Australia called 'Citizens
not suspects'. We warmly welcome the approach from EFA, and now would
like to gauge community feedback to help guide our support actions.

The essence of the Citizens not suspects campaign is to oppose, and
bring to bear political pressure, to reject a number of proposals
currently before parliament, including;

  * a proposal for *mandatory retention of data* relating to the
    internet and telecommunications activity of all Australians for up
    to two years. This data could include records of your phone calls,
    your location, the websites you visit, the searches you make and who
    you send emails to and who you receive them from.

  *   a proposal to make it a crime to *refuse to provide authorities
    with passwords* for encrypted communications, which could include
    your email, as well as your Facebook and other accounts.

  * a proposal to give ASIO the power to *add, modify or delete files on
    any computer.*

*http://www.citizensnotsuspects.org.au/
*

Specifically, we are seeking feedback on;

1. The level of comfort in the community in taking a specific political
position against the proposals
2. The type and level of support you believe it would be appropriate to
provide - such as financial, in kind through raising awareness etc,
utilising the #DataRetention hashtag etc
3. Any other feedback you may wish to provide

Feedback may be sent to list - if you're comfortable with it being made
public, or privately to myself.
Please indicate if you would like your feedback kept in confidence and I
will not disclose the source of feedback.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice,

Kind regards,
Kathy

on behalf of Council

--