[Linux-aus] SIP

David Lyon david.lyon at hackerpads.com
Wed Jul 3 22:57:36 EST 2013

On 03.07.2013 08:18, David Newall wrote:
> I dare say the telcos would argue as you do, but I think the tier-1
> ISPs, who have established, global networks, independent of voice
> carriers, would see things differently.  I think they would be
> delighted
> to see the demise of PSTN in favour of purely VoIP.

I wouldn't predict the demise of PSTN anytime soon.

In fact, the impression that I get from those in my business circles is
that they don't mind paying for telephone services.

Where you see their point is on the receiving side of telephone calls.
If 'anybody' can make free voip calls, then anybody will call. I'm
meaning telephone canvassors/telemarketers here.

By having a callout cost, it is perceived that this hampers
telemarketing - not entirely, but considerably.

So for the technical people, yes SIP is very inviting. For Business
people, it's less so. Telephony has been has become perfectly acceptable
in a 'you-get-what-you-pay-for' scenario.

Years ago, 3 introduced Skype. Then it gradually vanished. A flat
'Monthly Plan' was also to blame. You could make International calls
within your cap without the 5-minute fumble of loading up Skype to find
your friends overseas weren't on.

The same phone also had SIP, but nobody I knew could figure out how to
use it. To understand it, in my experience required a visit to an LCA
event or Linux User Group. Fun for some, but a little bit to hardcore
for the average caller. PSTN still worked - no config files.

-David