[Linux-aus] SIP

David Newall davidn at davidnewall.com
Wed Jul 3 22:18:17 EST 2013

On 03/07/13 21:01, David Lyon wrote:
> the simplistic explanation of why SIP hasn't been successful. It has
> no associated Billing System.

Companies, such as Cisco, sell a swag-load of VoIP systems based upon
SIP, which I expect is also used by all modern VoIP handsets, so I think
I can't agree that SIP has been unsuccessful.  I think I also can't
agree that it has no associated billing system because data is not
free.  Regardless of whether the data you pay for is used for email, web
or VoIP, a bill is still issued.  Telcos do have less scope for
differential pricing for data than for voice, which may explain their
reluctance to come to market with sensible data services until
relatively recently, but, really, they overplayed their hand and left a
big opening for new entrants in an IP-only world.  There are orders of
magnitude more alternatives to consumers for data than for POTS, and
that explains why many people take the view that you expressed that SIP
is free.  It's not free but is so cheap that we don't pay for each byte,
but contract for a fungible, minimum volume.

Carrier arguments

> I'm unaware that Desktop-Sharing is part of the NBN.

Given what "B" stands for, I think everything IP is part of the NBN.

> To render a Telephone Number obsolete in the way that you suggest, a
> new way of Billing the customer would need to be introduced.

Counter-argument tendered, above.  I repeat my thesis that the obstacle
to removal of telephone numbers is a legacy problem.  I was going to say
that it is a purely legacy problem, but no, there also is a
psychological aspect to the problem.  I think the technical aspect, by
which I mean the legacy aspect, is the greater part.

> It's not that these things represent my personal view, but more that
> they form the basis on how the Telecommunications Industry is built,
> and more importantly - Funded.

I dare say the telcos would argue as you do, but I think the tier-1
ISPs, who have established, global networks, independent of voice
carriers, would see things differently.  I think they would be delighted
to see the demise of PSTN in favour of purely VoIP. Indeed, isn't that
what NBN drives us towards?